- Bring 18 ounces of freshly drawn, filtered cold water to a boil.
- While the water is heating, place filter into the filter cone and set on top of a 14 ounce mug. Rinse the filter with 4 ounces of hot water to minimize papery flavors. Discard water, returning rinsed filter cone to the top of mug.
- Measure 4 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee into the filter.
- Pour water slowly over to saturate all grounds until the first drips drop into the cup. The grounds will puff up and deflate slightly. Wait about 15 to 30 seconds for this stage of extraction, called the "bloom".
- Resume pouring water, in the center of the cone, making a small counter-clockwise circle with stream.
- Allow the coffee to filter through completely before enjoying.
- Total brew time is 2 to 2:45 minutes, including bloom.
To recreate the strength and sweetness reminiscent of the coffee you enjoy in Peet’s stores, adjust this recipe by adding an additional 2 tablespoons of ground coffee. Since the size, shape and number of holes in filter cones can vary, we recommend that you adjust your grind setting or pour timing so that it takes about 2:30 to 3 minutes to brew and filter your coffee.