Effective Date: January 1, 2013
Peet's understands that you care about privacy, so we are committed to helping you understand your privacy rights and how we use information about our site visitors. This Policy describes the types of personal information we collect, how we may use that information, and how we protect it. We also tell you how to update your information or contact us with questions about our privacy practices. This Policy applies only to this website (www.peets.com), our mobile site (m.peets.com), and the online activities described herein, such as our use of social media sites.
Information We Collect and How We Use It
When you use certain features of our website, we may ask you to provide information that could identify you as an individual. Examples of personal information we may collect include:
- Your contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, or telephone number;
- Contact information for other people that you provide when you ask us to send them information (please do so only with their permission);
- Your Peet's account user ID and password;
- Your Peet's card number and PIN;
- Payment information, such as payment card number, expiration date, billing address, cardholder name, security code, and promotional or discount code;
- Demographic information, such as your birthday, when you tell us about your preferences;
- Precise location information if you access our site using a mobile device and opt in using your device or browser settings, as well as general location information based on your IP address, which we obtain through general site operations;
- Information that you submit related to potential employment with Peet’s, such as your resume, work authorization status, educational information, employment history, names and contact details of past supervisors, and work experience; and
- When you use social media to interact with us, or to share something from our site with others, we will receive information about what you share and other details that may be based on your social media privacy settings (please review the Social Media and User-Generated Content section of our Policy for more information).
We may use the information we obtain about you for a variety of purposes, including:
- Providing information or services you requested, such as creating your Peet’s account or subscribing to programs we offer;
- Communicating with you about our products, services, offers, events, and promotions;
- Processing and fulfilling transactions, such as product purchases and Peet’s card reloads, and facilitating shipments;
- Providing customer support;
- Gathering feedback about our products, services, and programs;
- Managing your participation in our contests, promotions, charity programs, and community activities;
- Providing customized content based on your use of your site, your preferences, and/or your location, depending on the type of information you have chosen to provide to us;
- Operating, evaluating, enhancing, and improving our business, products, services, communications, and similar activities;
- Analyzing, enhancing, and improving our online features, marketing communications, and marketing strategies;
- Protecting against and preventing fraud, physical and financial loss, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and managing risk, including identifying unauthorized users or other security issues;
- Complying with applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our policies, or enforcing compliance with those requirements; and
- In the case of our careers pages, evaluating job candidates and making hiring and other personnel decisions.
We also may combine information we collect about you with other information we receive from additional sources. You may choose not to provide us with all of the information we request. In some cases, choosing not to provide information may prevent you from taking full advantage of our sites features.
Social Media and User-Generated Content
Peet's website allows you to share product reviews with us. Please use this feature responsibly. We monitor reviews to make sure that only appropriate content is shared through our site. Please review our Terms and Conditions of Use for additional information about your responsibilities when posting product reviews.
We also maintain a social media presence, such as a Peet's Facebook page and Peet's Twitter feed. You can interact with us through social media, such as by entering our contests, posting content, sharing material from Peet's websites, and using our social media plug-ins. When you interact with us using social media we may receive information such as your user ID, your profile picture, photos you post, and similar information, which is often determined by your privacy settings at social media sites. We may use the information for the same types of purposes we describe throughout this Policy. Your use of social media sites is primarily governed by the site operators' privacy policies and terms of service, and the information you share with us and with others is largely controlled by the privacy settings you have established at those sites.
Automated Collection and Use of Information
We receive or collect some information automatically when you visit our site or engage with other online content we provide. For example, we receive the IP address of the computer or other device you use to access our sites, which may reveal your general geographic location. We collect or receive other information using technology features such as:
Cookies. A cookie is a file saved to your computer or device that may be used to recognize our users when they return to our website, collect usage information, remember user's preferences, and provide customized versions of our site. We use this information to evaluate our web traffic, improve our website and services, enhance our communications, and understand the effectiveness of our ad or promotional campaigns. For more information on your choices regarding cookies, see the Your Choices section below.
Web Beacons. Our site uses web beacons or pixels that monitor some types of use. These beacons may provide us with information such as the IP address of the computer or other device you used to access our site. We use this information to understand patterns of activity on our site, to improve its features, and to customize our presentation of content to our users, including online advertising.
Online Advertising. We provide online advertisements about our products and services on other parties' websites. We may engage third party ad networks and analytics providers, such as Google Analytics, to evaluate how users interact with and respond to our ads. Peet's may develop content and advertising based on the analytics and user information developed from cookies. For more information on your choices regarding cookies, see the Your Choices section below.
Referrer Headers. We may record referrer headers when you follow links to our website, which may be sent to us automatically by your web browser. In these cases, we may receive information such as the URL of the website that referred you to our site, or search queries you used to find our site. We use this information to understand our web traffic, to improve our services, to increase their accessibility to search engines and others, and to monitor our advertising campaigns.
How We Share Your Information
We may share personal information with trusted parties, such as service providers who assist us in our business and who are only permitted to use your information in ways we have authorized or to comply with legal requirements. These trusted parties include:
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- Trusted business partners, such as companies we partner with for joint projects;
- When reasonably requested or required by law enforcement authorities or other government officials;
- When required by law or in response to legal process;
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss;
- When reasonably necessary to an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; and
- In the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets.
We offer you certain choices about the information we collect, how we use and share information, and how we communicate with you. To help protect your privacy, when you exercise these choices we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password.
By contacting us as shown in the Contact Us section of this Policy, you may opt out of receiving communications from us, such as newsletters and surveys. You also have the following specific opt-out choices:
- Marketing communications. You may opt out of specific communications (such as marketing emails) by following the opt out instructions contained in the communication.
- Cookies. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. However, rejecting cookies may affect your user experience, and you may not be able to access or use certain features of our sites. In addition, disabling cookies may invalidate opt outs that rely on cookies, such as web analytics or targeted advertising opt outs.
- Targeted advertising. If you prefer to not receive targeted advertising, you can opt out of some network advertising programs that use your information. These network advertising programs may allow you to view and manage the interest categories they have compiled from your online browsing activities. These interest categories help determine the types of targeted advertisements you may receive. To find out more, look for icons or other information displayed in the ads.
- Geographic location. When you use our website on your mobile device, you may choose not to share your location with us by adjusting the device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your plan provider or device manufacturer.
While we will take all reasonable steps to honor your choices with respect to your personal information, you should be aware that it is not always possible to delete all of your information for technical reasons. For example, we may store personal information in long-term archives or backups or retain an identifier to honor your opt out choices. We will continue to send you service-related communications, and we may need to keep the information we have collected about you for record keeping, analysis, or other reasons, to the extent permitted by law.
If you are a California resident, you may contact us to request information about circumstances in which we share certain personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes. To request information please contact us as indicated in the Contact Us section of this Policy.
The nature of our business requires us to collect and maintain certain personal information, and we understand that we have a responsibility to protect it. To do so, we maintain appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that are designed to safeguard your personal information from accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. Your Peet's account is protected by your log-in credentials, which you must keep secure and confidential. We also use the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) communications protocol in many areas of the site where we ask users to submit information.
We communicate our privacy and security guidelines and standards to Peet’s employees who access personal information for purposes described in this policy, and we enforce these requirements within the company. We also require that our service providers protect your personal information and use it only in the ways we have authorized.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
Peet's endeavors to maintain accurate information and provide you with options to update your information. You can log into your account and modify your information using your log-in credentials. You also may request that we update your information by contacting us as described in the Contact Us section of this Policy.
International Data Transfer
Please be advised that information described in this policy will be maintained and processed in the United States. Other countries, including the United States, may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you reside. No matter where we process personal information, that information will be subject to the policies and protections described by this Policy.
Links to Other Sites
We may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. Since these sites are not owned, controlled, or operated by Peet's, we cannot control how information collected by these linked sites will be used, shared, or secured. If you visit linked sites, we strongly suggest that you review the privacy notices or policies posted at those sites. We are not responsible for the content of linked sites, your use of them, or the information practices of their operators.
You may ask a question, request that we update your information, or submit a complaint by contacting us at:
Peet's Coffee & Tea Home Office
1400 Park Ave
Emeryville, CA 94608
800.999.2132 Monday through Friday, 6 A.M. – 6 P.M. PT
(From Mexico and countries outside of North America, please call 510.594.2950)