- Home /
Peet’s Coffee & Tea
Effective Date: May 25, 2018
Information We Collect and How We Use It
When you use certain features of our Sites, we may collect personal information that you submit to us. We may also collect personal information automatically. Examples of personal information we may collect include:
- Your contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, or telephone number;
- Contact information for other people that you provide when you ask us to send them information (please do so only with their permission);
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, browser type, operating system, device- identifying information, the specific web pages visited during your connection, and the domain name from which you accessed the Sites;
- Information about your browsing behavior, such as the date and time you visit the Sites, the areas or pages of the Sites that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Sites, the number of times you return to the Sites and other clickstream data; and your Peet’s account user ID and password;
- Your Peet’s card number and PIN;
- Payment information, such as payment card number, expiration date, billing address, cardholder name, security code, and promotional or discount code;
- Demographic information, such as your birthday, when you tell us about your preferences;
- Location information when your browser and/or device is set to provide that to us or when you check-in through our Sites, for example, though GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, QR-code scanning or similar technologies;
- Information that you submit related to potential employment with Peet’s, such as your resume, work authorization status, educational information, employment history, names and contact details of past supervisors, and work experience; and
In some jurisdictions, individuals may have the right to provide opt-in consent or withdraw consent for certain uses. If you reside in such jurisdictions, you may have additional rights which are detailed below, “Access, Correction and Deletion.”
We may use the information we obtain about you for a variety of purposes, including:
- Providing information or services you requested, such as creating your Peet’s account or subscribing to programs we offer;
- Communicating with you about our products, services, offers, events, and promotions;
- Processing and fulfilling transactions, such as product purchases and Peet’s card reloads, and facilitating shipments;
- Providing customer support;
- Gathering feedback about our products, services, and programs;
- Managing your participation in our contests, promotions, charity programs, and community activities;
- Providing customized or targeted content, including interest-based advertising, and promotions/discounts based on your use of the Sites, your preferences, your purchases, and/or your location, depending on the type of information you have chosen to provide to us;
- Operating, evaluating, enhancing, and improving our business, products, services, communications, and similar activities;
- Analyzing, enhancing, and improving our online features, marketing communications, and marketing strategies;
- Protecting against and preventing fraud, physical and financial loss, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and managing risk, including identifying unauthorized users or other security issues;
- Complying with applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our policies, or enforcing compliance with those requirements; and
- In the case of our careers pages, evaluating job candidates and making hiring and other personnel decisions.
If you do not wish to receive communications from us about special offers and promotions, you can opt-out of receiving these communications by following the instructions contained in the messages you receive. Even if you opt-out of receiving these messages, we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the services we provide, and we may send you service announcements and administrative messages. We do not offer you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving those communications. For more information about interest-based advertising, including how you can manage advertising, please see below “Interest-Based Advertising.”
We also may combine information we collect about you with other information we receive from additional sources. You may choose not to provide us with all of the information we request. In some cases, choosing not to provide information may prevent you from taking full advantage of our Sites’ features.
Social Media and User-Generated Content
Peet’s website allows you to share product reviews with us. Please use this feature responsibly. We monitor reviews to make sure that only appropriate content is shared through our Sites. Please review our Terms and Conditions of Use for additional information about your responsibilities when posting product reviews.
Automated Collection and Use of Information
As referenced above, we receive or collect some information automatically when you visit our Sites or engage with other online content we provide. For example, we receive the IP address or other identifier for the computer or other device you use to access our Sites, which may reveal your general geographic location. We collect or receive other information using technology features such as:
Cookies. A cookie is a file saved to your computer or device that may be used to recognize our users when they return to our Sites, collect usage information, remember user’s preferences, and provide customized versions of our Sites. We use this information to evaluate our web traffic, enhance our communications, understand the effectiveness of our ad or promotional campaigns, and improve our website and services, including providing you with interest-based ads. For more information on our advertising, see below: “Interest-Based Advertising.” For more information on your choices regarding cookies, see the “Your Choices” section below.
Interest-Based Advertising. We provide interest-based advertising about our products and services on other parties’ websites. We may use third-party advertising companies that use tracking technologies to serve our advertisements across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your visits to the Sites and other websites and your interaction with our advertising and other communications. These advertising companies serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated sites, and some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information collected about your visits to this Sites and elsewhere over time. Other companies may also use such technology to advertise on our Sites. You have the choice to tell us not to collect and use this information, and in some jurisdictions, we will only engage in interest-based advertising if you opt-in. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices concerning interest-based ads, visit:
In Canada, please visit: http://youradchoices.ca/choices/
In the EU, please visit: http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/
Peet’s may develop content and advertising based on the analytics and user information developed from cookies or similar technology. For more information on your choices regarding advertising, see the “Your Choices” section below.
Referrer Headers. We may record referrer headers when you follow links to our Sites, which may be sent to us automatically by your web browser. In these cases, we may receive information such as the URL of the website that referred you to our Sites, or search queries you used to find our Sites. We use this information to understand our web traffic, to improve our services, to increase their accessibility to search engines and others, and to monitor our advertising campaigns.
How We Share Your Information
We may share personal information with trusted parties, such as service providers who assist us in our business and who are only permitted to use your information in ways we have authorized or to comply with legal requirements. These trusted parties include:
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- Trusted business partners, such as companies we partner with for joint projects or promotions, and service providers, to perform a business, professional or technical support function for us;
- When reasonably requested or required by law enforcement authorities or other government officials;
- When required by law or in response to legal process;
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss;
- When reasonably necessary to an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity; and in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets.
- We may also disclose your personal information with your express consent.
Please note that if you voluntarily submit any personal information for posting on the Sites, such as a review or a blog post, the information becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others, so you should use care before posting information about yourself online.
We offer you certain choices about the information we collect, how we use and share information, and how we communicate with you. To help protect your privacy, when you exercise these choices we may take reasonable steps to verify your identity, such as requiring a password.
By contacting us as shown in the “Contact Us” section of this Policy, you may opt-out of receiving communications from us, such as newsletters and surveys. You also have the following specific opt-out choices:
- Marketing communications. You may opt-out of specific communications (such as marketing emails, rewards program emails, and customer satisfaction surveys) by following the opt-out instructions contained in the footer of each communication or contacting Customer Service as provided below. In certain jurisdictions, we will market to you only with your express consent.
- Cookies. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. However, rejecting cookies may affect your user experience, and you may not be able to access or use certain features of our Sites. In addition, disabling cookies may invalidate opt-outs that rely on cookies, such as web analytics or targeted advertising opt-outs. Because Peet’s does not own or control browser tools, we cannot guarantee their effectiveness.
- Mobile devices and geographic location. When you use our website on your mobile device, you may choose not to share your location with us by adjusting the device’s location services settings. For instructions on changing the relevant settings, please contact your plan provider or device manufacturer. For more information on opting out on mobile devices, you may also visit: http://www.networkadvertising.org/mobile-choices.
- Google Analytics. We may use Google Analytics to monitor activity and performance of the Sites. To learn how Google Analytics collects and processes data, please visit: “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” located at http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners.
Access, Correction, & Deletion
We respect your right to access and correct your personal information. You may access your personal information by signing into your account. From there, you can correct or modify your information. You may also exercise your rights, subject to applicable laws, to request that we delete or restrict access to your personal data. We may need to retain it for legally permitted purposes and this will be explained to you if necessary.
If you need assistance correcting or updating your personal information, or would like to request that we delete your personal information, please contact us using the contact information detailed in the “Contact Us” section below.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain personal information where we have an ongoing legitimate business or legal need to do so. Our retention periods will vary depending on the type of data involved, but, generally, we will refer to the following criteria in order to determine retention period:
- Whether we have a legal or contractual need to retain the data.
- Whether the data is necessary to provide our products, services or programs.
- Whether our visitors have the ability to access and delete the data within their accounts.
- Whether our visitors would reasonably expect that we would retain the data until they remove it or until their Peet’s Coffee accounts are closed or terminated.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible..
Peet’s Sites are not directed at children under the age of 13 and Peet’s does not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children under 13 without prior verifiable parental consent. If Peet’s learns that a child under the age of 13 has submitted personal information to us without parental consent, we will take all reasonable measures to delete such information from our databases and/or to not use such information for any purpose (except as necessary to protect the safety of the child or others as required or allowed by law). If you become aware of any personal information we have collected from a child under 13, please contact us.
If you are a California resident, you may contact us to request information about circumstances in which we share certain personal information with third parties for their marketing purposes and allow third parties to collect such information from our Sites. To request information please contact us as indicated in the “Contact Us” section of this Policy.
Right to Removal of Posted Information—California Minors
If you are under 18 years of age, reside in California, and have a registered account with Peet’s, you have the right to request removal of unwanted information that you publicly post on our Sites through customer reviews or other methods. To request removal of such information, you can contact Peet’s at the phone number or postal address below. Upon receiving such a request, Peet’s will make sure that the information is not publicly available on our Sites, but the information may not be completely or comprehensively removed from Peet’s systems.
Visitors from Outside the United States—Cross-Border Transfer
Right to Lodge Complaints
We are transparent about the ways in which we collect and use personal information, and welcome your questions and concerns. If you have any concern or complaint about the way we handle your personal information, please contact us as described below. To the extent you believe we have not addressed your concerns or otherwise choose to do so, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority in the country where you reside and/or the United States. You may contact the US Federal Trade Commission regarding your concerns. For more information, please see https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc. Within the United Kingdom, you may obtain more information about how to protect your rights and lodge a complaint by contacting the UK Information Commissioner’s Office, see https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that users can set in some web browsers, allowing users to opt-out of tracking by websites and online services. At the present time, the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) has not yet established universal standards for recognizable DNT signals and therefore, Peet’s does not recognize DNT. For more information regarding your choices regarding tracking, see the “Your Choices” section, above.
The nature of our business requires us to collect and maintain certain personal information, and we understand that we have a responsibility to protect it. To do so, we maintain appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that are designed to safeguard your personal information from accidental, unlawful, or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure, or use. Your Peet’s account is protected by your log-in credentials, which you must keep secure and confidential. We also use the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) communications protocol in many areas of the site where we ask users to submit information.
Peet’s endeavors to maintain accurate information and provide you with options to update your information. You can log into your account and modify your information using your log-in credentials. You also may request that we update your information by contacting us as described in the “Contact Us” section of this Policy.
International Data Transfer
Links to Other Sites
We may provide links to other websites for your convenience and information. Since these sites are not owned, controlled, or operated by Peet’s, we cannot control how information collected by these linked sites will be used, shared, or secured. If you visit linked sites, we strongly suggest that you review the privacy notices or policies posted at those sites. We are not responsible for the content of linked sites, your use of them, or the information practices of their operators.
Peet’s Coffee & Tea Home Office
1400 Park Ave
Emeryville, CA 94608
(800) 999-2132 Monday through Friday, 6 A.M. – 6 P.M. PT
From Mexico and countries outside of North America, please call (510) 594-2950
If we need, or are required, to contact you concerning any event that involves your information, we may do so by email, telephone, or mail.